Black Teens Held at Gunpoint by Deputies in Santa Clarita Say They Are the Ones Who Called for Help – NBC Los Angeles


Summary generated on August 10, 2020

    A video that had amassed millions of views on social media Monday, and spurred calls from the mayor of Santa Clarita requesting the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department remove the deputy involved until an investigation could be completed, showed deputies pointing weapons at three Black teens who - along with witnesses seen in the video - say they had called police for help.

    The L.A. County Sheriff's Department responded Monday to a viral video that showed officers pointing guns at three Black teens who allege they were attacked at knifepoint by a homeless man.

    In the video posted to social media Friday, a crowd can be heard shouting at deputies who have weapons trained on the teens, who are near a bus stop.

    The deputies continually tell the crowd to back up, as witnesses tell the teens to make sure they keep their hands up.

    The deputies in the video also say they were responding to a call about men who matched the teens' descriptions, and that it was standard practice to detain them.

    A woman identifying herself as the manager of a nearby Buffalo Wild Wings also tells the deputies that it wasn't the teens who had caused trouble.

    The department said Friday afternoon, deputies received a call for a possible assault with a deadly weapon in the 19200 block of Soledad Canyon Road in Canyon Country.

    Witnesses in the tense video were shouting at deputies that the teens had called for help after a homeless man pulled a knife on them, and were concerned a man with a knife was loose on the streets.

    "The City of Santa Clarita is aware of the incident which took place this past Friday involving Santa Clarita Sheriff's deputies detaining two people at gunpoint, and we are very concerned... We have spoken to the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department, and we are aware that a full investigation is underway regarding the level of response by the deputies. We have asked that the review be expedited and any necessary actions be taken. In addition, we have asked that the deputy be removed from the field pending the outcome of the investigation."

    A small group of protesters showed up Monday in front of the bus stop where it happened saying they're angry with the deputies involved.